Wednesday 2 April 2008

Planes, Trains and Automobiles.



Today has been a day of travelling. My destination was Phuket. The plan was to take the train as by car it would have been over a days travelling. After a little investigating, I discovered that there was no direct train line from Hua Hin to Phuket and in fact it would be 2 trains or a train and a car. Wanting to make the most of my holiday, I decided to look into the cost of flying there. To my suprise it was only 18 pounds. and the flight is only 1 hour. It did mean a journey back to Bangkok - but thats only a 2 and a half hour drive. And a driver for the day might only cost you 10/20 pounds. Between a group of us it works out to virtually nothing. As we came in for landing I saw island after island - all of which seemed totally undeveloped and completely uninhabited. The surrounding sea was a exquizite turqouise lapping at unspoilt white sand. I can't wait till we hire our boat.

I've just arrived at the Patong resort hotel. A lovely 4 star hotel on the Patong Beach front. This place is full up with rich americans as opposed to smelly travellers. I'm not sure which I prefer. Still it makes a change. Rooms here are 80 pounds per night for a 3 bed suite. However, Our local guide (Auntie Bora) has managed to secure them for only 30 .... Once again Im sharing with Paul and Beck. It's just like Zante in that respect. I don't get much sleep with them about. But, who needs it? Sleeping is for wimps. I am yet to leave the hotel and explore the island I am on but will do as soon as I can a post it here.

I have yet to visit a part of Thailand that was effected by the tsunami. I will be interested to see if there is still much resoration work still to be done. I spoke briefly about the tsunami to several of the bar maids who have worked at the various hotels I have been staying in. Everyone seems to have lost someone in it. A friend a family member. The barmaid at the Somerset lost her brother and best friend. As we travelled here I found myself thinking more and more about the events of boxing day 2004. In 3 days I am going to visit Ko Phi Phi where my work colleague John and his wife Tracy died when the wave came in. I plan to stay on the beach in a tent with the other younger members of our group - although the island limits the number of campers to 20 per night. I'm told the beach huts where John stayed were never rebuilt.

The girls I met in Cuba arrived today - as soon as I've finished typing this up Im going to join them by the pool to discuss their travels. They have already done Australia, New Zealand, Fiji and Singapore. The more I consider what to do over the coming weeks the less inclined I am to leave Thailand. Except for my excursion to Cambodia. This place has everything you could want at a price that you can't grumble at.

Right drink time!



No comments: