Thursday 10 April 2008

Phuket lobster and other animals.

Today I arranged to go on a minibus tour of Phuket with Jan, Garry, Dave and Carol. We left the others behind to sleep off their hangovers. Lightweights.....

We were initially driven to an observation point that has spectacular views of the island of Phuket. We hung around taking loads of photos whilst bemused locals looked at us. I felt like the western equivalent of a Japanese tourist with their camera. We passed another sea eagle that was posing for photos and as it was a slightly better specimen that the one yesterday I paid out again to have my photo taken with it.

From there it was off to a sea shell and fossil museum. I found this a little dull. However I was glad to get out of the oppressive heat and humidity. I was further disappointed that all the fossils were in fact collected in France and Morocco. Why? All of the islands here are made of limestone which is sedimentary. Surely they could have some local specimens. Alas no. I was also expecting to see the worlds largest golden pearl. It was unpolished and the nearest thing I could compare it to was a milk chocolate malteser. Pah!


After that it was off to a beach side restaurant that served a wide range of food from both east and west. I decided to indulge in the world renowned Phuket lobster (I'm told its not actually a lobster but a species of crayfish and as such it lacked the large front claws you see on other lobsters). There were several lobsters in the tank - I was given a large one. I became concerned that it was going to be very expensive as it costs around 4 to 5 pounds per 100 grams. I decided what the hell, My budget is 40 pounds per day - why not waste half on a lobster (10 years ago it would have cost little more than my companions meals. However, overfishing has depleted supplies). It was served steamed with garlic. I couldn't believe how much garlic they put in it. It tasted gorgeous. The girls are going to love me tonight. I was unable to finish all the garlic - there must have been around 10 cloves in there. Some stray cats came and sat with me and I fed them my excess garlic. Have you ever known a cat to eat garlic? I then wrapped a chili up in lobster entrails in the hope they would gulp it down to. They turned their noses up at it. Carol doesn't like cats (neither do I really, hence the chili). I think Dave and I might have upset her a little bit. After a quick Singha it was off to the jewellery store again. I'm getting pissed off with that place. However, I now have a better understanding of why I am constantly being taken there. They subsidise the minibus hire if the driver takes me there. Otherwise its an extra 16 pounds per day. They do a lovely free iced coffee so I suppose I shouldn't complain.


From there it was to a temple. The architecture was nice but I'm not really a fan of religion of any form. I must say the highlight was purchasing some gold leaf to help cover a non-gold Buddha statue. I did so and apparently good luck will come my way soon.


From there Garry and Jan went to a hotel to meet one of his golf buddies whilst Dave and myself who are keen aquarists went to the Phuket Aquarium to look at fish. I wont bore you with the details - but will say it was a great experience. All of the local fish are there as are some from other parts of the world such as phiranas (they were about 3 times the size of my own ones). We walked through a glass tunnel in a shark and ray tank and then encountered some huge fish who's names escape me.


Finally we met up with Garry and Jan again who informed us they had been unsuccessful in their friend finding mission and returned back to the hotel.

The idea was to round up people for a boat ride to a secluded beach to watch the sunset. The only taker outside of the minibus group was Sara. Together we made our way down to Patong beach and hired the longboat for 2 hours for around 22 pounds. He took us a long way down the Phuket coast and we circumnavigated an island before returning. The sunset was great and I would have got some better pictures were it not for the constant spray from the side of the boats.


As we returned to the hotel I phoned my nan to see how she was. When we got back the guys had a beer by the pool whilst the girls had a new wave cocktail. Everybody left and Garry assured me he would be back in 10 minutes to have another beer with me. I sat alone and listened to the pianist. "Where you from? Australia?" he asked. So its not only Americans that think that I thought. "No, England" I replied proudly. Ah! he said "Princess Diana, Princess Diana!" and broke into song. It was that terrible remake of candle in the wind. I didn't have the heart to tell him I didn't care much for the lady. " Very good woman" he repeated about 10 times. I smiled nicely. Where was Garry? Then an Aussie called Scot came and sat next to me. "G'day mate!" he said. I looked at him and noticed he had shaved his entire head except a square section around the size of a playing card above his right ear. I decided not to mention it. We discussed the difference between transience and permanence and the nature of self in a Buddhist context for around an hour. He finished the conversation by saying "don't worry mate - you'll find love". Where did that come from? Where was Garry? At that point Dave came and rescued me by informing me Garry had forgotten about me and was in another bar slightly worse for wear drinking tequila. Thanks Garry.

Im off to Molly Malones to say goodbye to everyone. We all make our separate ways tomorrow and I will be alone. Im going to Ko Lanta to stay with my ex work colleague Hugh. Im hoping we will enjoy a quieter 2 weeks than I have with my family. I'm going to miss everyone. But hopefully they will READ MY BLOG AND WRITE TO ME? I'll see them all again in 2 weeks. Don't forget to send me your photos guys!


No comments: