Monday 7 April 2008

Budget Laundry and fun by the pool


Today I decided to wash my clothes instead of just buying new ones. It's very easy to develop a throw away attitude over here. I gathered together two weeks worth of socks, underpants, shirts, t-shirts, shorts and jeans. Enough to fill two Tesco's carrier bags to breaking point. I could have used the laundrette or the hotels in house service. Instead at the recommendation of Janet I wandered down to a shop that will wash and iron your clothes for you. It was called happy simple smiley laundrette. Something like that anyway, lots of shops out here have funny names. There was a burger bar I passed yesterday called McGood's.

She separated out my clothes, which really did smell. All that sweating really makes your clothes pungent. I was a little embarrassed to make someone else do this for me - but figured, what the hell - I'll never see them again - in fact I'm doing them a favor.


My clothes will be ready tomorrow morning and the bill was 220 bhat. That's around 3.50 in English money. I would use the pound sign but none of the computers have it round here. I pondered posting my washing to Thailand from England in future to get it done - but decided I should be less lazy. I considered getting my Tag Heuer watch repaired as a link was starting to come loose - but instead decided to take it swimming to see whether I was told the truth by the smooth talking salesman - who came down in price from 45 pounds to 8 when selling it to me. Sadly it steamed up in seconds. I suggest that if you decide to buy a watch that purports to be water proof - you go to one of the shops that sells them from an aquarium tank. Take it out - um and err about it for 20 minutes (giving time for any water inside it to drain). If it starts to steam up then walk away. The girls leave for Phi Phi tomorrow - I have provisionally agreed to meet them in Ko Lanta next weekend. Where I will be staying with Hugh - near his bar. Thus fulfilling Hugh's only request - 'bring girls'.


We have spent the day by the pool playing with water pistols and my underwater camera. We then made an attempt at spelling Thailand using our bodies (photos included). I'm off to shower up now and enjoy the last night out we will all spend together as a complete group.

No comments: