Sunday 6 April 2008

Phi Phi Don

The second of the Phi Phi islands was Phi Phi Don. This was and is a popular tourist destination. However, it was completely devastated by the boxing day tsunami. Over 8000 people perished in Thailand. The two worst hit sites were Patong beach where im staying and Phi Phi Don. This was the site where my work colleague John (and wife Tracy) had died whist travelling over Christmas. Due to the islands shape the wave had been particularly high. It reached up to 10 metres in height. I'm told it was a kind of lens effect - there are two mountains connected by a strip of sand at their closest point. They forced the wave into a smaller space which increased its height.



We never had a funeral for John. The main reason for it being that his body wasn't identified until months later. We had a kind of party instead where people could talk about John and get pissed. I think he would have liked it. However, it didn't really seem like a proper ceremony. One day John went off on holiday and he never came back - that was it. His ashes were scattered here in Thailand. I decided to buy some flowers and pay my respects.



Having seen the photos my father brought back from his visit to Phi Phi I knew the destruction was almost complete. (I have included a picture at the bottom of the entry + Patong beach). The trees and buildings had all been washed into the sea. I was shocked to see that the place had been completely rebuilt. Not only that, but trees covered the sandy beach which was worst affected. They stood over 30 feet tall. I spoke with our guide who explained that the trees roots had not been affected by the tsunami and they had all managed to regrow. That's around 10 inches of growth per month since the disaster. I find that hard to believe however, the climate here is tropical. The only noticeable difference on the island I'm told is the inclusion of tsunami evacuation routes. There are signs all over the island pointing you to safe places and distances in metres telling you how far it is to higher ground.



I found a quiet part of the beach and I lay down the flowers and watched the sea come in and take them away. I still find it hard to accept that the event happened and that someone that I knew died. I suppose life is very fragile. Maybe it's time I considered doing a little more with mine.




Within an hour it was time to leave. There isn't much to do on Phi Phi anyway except sunbathe. We made our way to another small island - around 40 minutes away by speed boat and looked for reef sharks. I became irritated whilst snorkeling as all the coral fish were trying to eat me. None of them have teeth so you don't bleed or anything like that. It's just a very unpleasant sensation.


From there it was off home. It's Emma's birthday tonight. The group are going for an Italian meal. I've headed into town (pictured right) to use the net and buy a new outfit for less than 8 pounds. This place is also completely back to normal now.

No comments: