Saturday 29 March 2008

Goodbye Bangkok, Hello Hua Hin

Last night was a particularly late night out with cousin Paul looking for bars with travellers & western ladies rather than Thai prostitutes. The problem we encountered was that everywhere seems to close at 2am. I find this particularly strange that in a country where it seems almost anything goes you cannot get a drink anywhere other than your hotel - or an illegal bar after 2am. We asked tuk tuk driver after tuk tuk driver if they could find somewhere for us to drink with fellow travellers - and once again instead of listening to us took us to go go bars. Eventually we settled on an inoffensive go go bar where most of the women had already been sold for the night - and there were a group of western girls standing outside with their boyfriends a little confused as to why the tuk tuk drivers had took them there. We chatted with a few of them and they advised us of locations they had got from the net for late night drinking.


I decided that taxi drivers were more honest chauffeurs and we hopped into one of the electric pink taxis that are plentiful in this city. He tried to find us a bar - but with little luck - after an hour of driving around our taxi driver explained that the no late alcohol law is a recent rule that has only come into force since the coup a little while ago. "That's no good is it!" I explained to the taxi driver..... he gave me a disapproving look I decided to let the matter drop and instead asked him to drive Paul and myself for some authentic Thai McDonald's (Open 24 hours, a third of the price and they deliver). I wasn't too disappointed that i didn't get to stay out all night. After all I was travelling to Hua Hin the next morning - and had to check out early. I also managed to meet some adult elephants this time. Good stuff!


The journey to Hua Hin wasn't too bad. About 2 hours. The hotel is nice and is around £8 per night per person, although it is nothing compared to the place that Pauls late uncle had built. We all had a dip in the pool there a few beers and decided to try out my underwater camera.

I intend to inspect the town tonight. It is immediately clear that it is a million miles away from the cacophony of people cars and animals that is Bangkok. I understand that it is primarily a golf resort and that the king of Thailand plays here regularly. Hua Hin's food and beer prices appear cheaper than Bangkok - I was told this was the case - and it has put my mind at rest that Im not going over budget. It gets very confusing handing over 1000 bhat notes - it seems like it should be more money than it actually is (£16ish). In fact I have only spent £115 so far and have managed to get some clothes. So Im doing well.


Apart from that, I continue to be plagued by problems with my feet. As one is getting better the other is getting worse. I think a day at the beach might be in order tomorrow. Anyway, its time to eat now. Steak and chips for £1.50! Happy days.



No comments: